Part of family planning is the use of birth control. Birth control is considered any device or medication that is used to minimize the risk of an unintended pregnancy. At Northwest Women’s Center in Houston, TX, women who are interested in putting conception on hold will want to talk to a provider about their birth control options. Choosing the birth control right for you needs to be thought out with several factors in mind.
What should I take into consideration when choosing birth control?
Some of the questions patients should ask include:
- How comfortable is this birth control method?
- What is my age and overall health?
- Do I have a medical history that keeps me from obtaining certain types of birth control?
- Is the birth control convenient for me?
- Do I plan on having kids, or more kids, in the future?
- How often am I having sexual intercourse?
- What are the side effects of the birth control I’m interested in choosing?
- Do I want to remember to take birth control or have it work for me without much thought?
The answers to these questions can help your medical provider make a recommendation regarding the best birth control for your unique lifestyle.
What types of birth control are available?
There are a lot of options when it comes to choosing a birth control most appropriate for one’s personal situation. Below are just a few of the choices that patients can make with the help of our providers at the Northwest Women’s Center or Houston, TX:
- Birth control implants
- IUD (intrauterine device)
- Birth control shot
- Birth control vaginal ring
- Birth control patches
- Birth control pills (oral medication)
- Male and internal condoms
- Birth control sponge
- Cervical cap
- Fertility awareness (FAMs)
- Sterilization (tubal ligation)
Ready to discuss your birth control needs with an experienced team of providers?
Connect with our providers at Northwest Women’s Center in Houston, TX to start learning more about your birth control options. The office is located at 13215 Dotson Road, Suite #200 and is open to new patients who are interested in scheduling an appointment. Call (281) 444-3440 today to request a consultation.