Many women experience various symptoms during their first trimester of pregnancy, and it’s important to be aware of what you may be dealing with. The team at Northwest Women’s Center in Houston, TX educates women on a few things that can be expected during the first portion of their nine-month journey:
- Morning sickness. Morning sickness is one of the most common symptoms, and it can occur at any time of the day. For some women, the nausea is mild, while others may vomit several times a day. Unfortunately, there is no cure for morning sickness, but there are some remedies that may help, such as ginger ale or crackers before getting out of bed in the morning.
- Fatigue. Another common symptom is fatigue. It’s vital that you get as much rest as possible, especially during the first trimester when your body is going through so many changes. Taking short naps during the day can help, as well as going to bed a little earlier at night.
- Breast discomfort. Another common first trimester symptom is breast tenderness. This is caused by the increased levels of hormones in your body and should subside after a few weeks. Wearing a supportive bra can help ease the discomfort.
- Constipation. Constipation is another pregnancy symptom that is caused by the hormonal changes in your body. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids and eat fiber-rich foods to help keep things moving along.
- Back pain. As your uterus grows, you may also begin to experience lower back pain. Doing some gentle stretches or taking a warm bath can help alleviate this symptom.
- Headaches. Headaches are another common complaint during the first trimester. Taking over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen can help, or you can try drinking plenty of fluids and getting regular exercise.
- Mood swings. Some women experience mood swings during their first trimester. This is also caused by the hormonal changes in your body, and usually subsides after a few weeks. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or down, be sure to talk to your doctor about it to determine what can be done to help improve your emotions during this time.
Schedule a visit today!
By knowing what to expect during your first trimester, you can better prepare yourself for the journey ahead. And remember, if you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to your healthcare provider at Northwest Women’s Center in Houston, TX. The office is located at 13215 Dotson Road, Suite #200 and can be reached to request an appointment at (281) 444-3440.