The second trimester of pregnancy is often referred to as the “honeymoon” stage because many of the unpleasant symptoms of early pregnancy disappear. However, this does not mean that the second trimester is without its own challenges.
The team at Northwest Women’s Center of Houston, TX, can help you fully understand what to expect during your second trimester of pregnancy:
- Increased energy levels: Many women report feeling more energetic during the second trimester. This increased energy can be an excellent opportunity to get ahead on some projects or start planning for baby’s arrival.
- Body changes: Your body will continue to change and grow during the second trimester. You may notice your skin getting darker, stretch marks appearing, and your waistline thickening. These changes are all normal and nothing to be concerned about.
- Emotional ups and downs: The second trimester is often when pregnancy hormones start to even out, which can result in more stable emotions. However, it is still common to experience mood swings during the second trimester. If you find yourself feeling particularly down or anxious, talk to your doctor or midwife.
- Heartburn: Heartburn is a common complaint during pregnancy, and it is most likely to occur during the second trimester. Heartburn is caused by stomach acid rising up into the esophagus, and it can be made worse by lying down or eating spicy, fatty, or acidic foods. If you are struggling with heartburn, talk to your doctor about ways to relieve your symptoms.
- Braxton Hicks contractions: Braxton Hicks contractions are harmless tightening of the uterus that can occur throughout pregnancy. They are often more noticeable in the second trimester as the uterus grows and puts pressure on other organs. Braxton Hicks contractions are not true labor contractions, and they should not be accompanied by any other labor signs, such as cervical changes or water breaking.
- Increased urination: As your pregnancy progresses, your growing uterus will start to put pressure on your bladder. This can result in more frequent trips to the bathroom, even if you are not drinking any extra fluids. If you need to go more often than every hour or two, talk to your doctor about possible solutions.
Remember your prenatal appointments to improve the chances of a healthy pregnancy!
These are just a few of the things you may experience during the second trimester of pregnancy. Remember that every pregnancy is different, so do not be worried if you do not experience all of these symptoms or if you have other symptoms that are not listed here.
If you have any concerns about your pregnancy, always speak to the team at Northwest Women’s Center of Houston, TX, to discuss your needs. An appointment can be scheduled with our providers by calling 281-444-3440 today!