What to do about vaginal discharge

Hand is a symbol of heart over her crotch. If you’re experiencing vaginal discharge, it is important to seek medical attention from your OBGYN. In most cases, vaginal discharge is normal and indicates that your body is doing a good job of cleansing itself. However, other types of vaginal discharge might be a sign of an infection or other underlying health conditions. Talking with a doctor at Northwest Women’s Center of Houston, TX, is the first step in finding out the cause of your vaginal discharge and whether or not it should be evaluated further.

What causes vaginal discharge?

Typically, vaginal discharge is a normal part of the female reproductive process. It is fluid that is secreted by the small glands in the vagina and cervix. This fluid helps to keep the vaginal area clean and free of bacteria and other organisms.

The amount, color, and the consistency of one’s vaginal discharge can vary throughout your menstrual cycle. For example, you may have excess discharge during ovulation or when you are sexually aroused. In general, clear or white discharge that is non-irritating and odorless is considered normal.

However, there are some types of vaginal discharge that can indicate an infection or other underlying health condition. These include:

  • Yellow or green discharge: This type of discharge is usually a sign of a bacterial infection, such as trichomoniasis or gonorrhea.
  • Gray discharge: This may be a sign of a yeast infection.
  • Thick, white discharge: This type of discharge is often a sign of candidiasis, commonly known as a yeast infection. This is often treated with over-the-counter or prescription medications from your doctor.
  • Brown or bloody discharge: This could be normal if it occurs during your period. However, it might also be an indication of an infection or other underlying health condition. If you have brown or bloody discharge that’s not related to your period, you should see your doctor at Northwest Women’s Center for an evaluation.

When should I see my doctor?

You should see your doctor if you are noticing any type of vaginal discharge that is unusual for you. If you reside in the area of Houston, TX, and want to speak to our providers and practitioners here at our practice, call 281-444-3440 to request an appointment.

Schedule A Consultation

New to our practice and want to schedule an appointment? Contact us by calling our office.

For existing patients, please contact us through the Patient Portal.

What happens in a consultation?

01. Get to know your Northwest Women’s Center physician.

02. Discuss your unique goals and concerns.

03. Receive a personalized procedure plan.

Accessibility Toolbar

NWWC White Retirement Notice Website 04162024 page 0001
Scroll to Top